On Sunday my Sunday school class started a study of creation. We are going to do one lesson per week until we have learned about what God created on each of the 6 days. While this is a slow pace, I think it will be good for the age group I teach.
Our first lesson was about day one when God said, “Let there be light.” in Genesis 1:3.
We started out the lesson by reading out of the Bible. To help illustrate this passage I shut off the light and we talked about darkness. Then I switched on the light and we talked about what it might have been like when God “turned the lights on” in the world. 🙂
To help us remember what happened on each day of creation we are going to turn our weekly crafts into a book. So, I am saving their papers at church until we are finished.
To make the craft pictured above here is what you will need to do.
- Black Construction Paper
- Yellow Construction Paper
- Glue Stick
- White Crayon or Marker
- Draw an arc on the black piece of construction paper (turn it horizontally) a little below halfway down. This will serve as a guide for gluing the yellow strips to the paper.
- Cut thin strips out of the yellow paper that are 3 to 4 inches long and some that are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. You can do this in advance or have the children cut them depending on their ability. You will need about 4 long strips and 5 short strips.
- Glue the yellow strips around the arc you drew in step one.
- Write the following along the bottom of the paper. Day 1: God said, ‘”Let there be light.” Genesis 1:3
I decided that it would be nice for the kids to have something to take home since I was keeping their main craft. So, I cut a small black square and write the number 1 on one side.
On the other side of the square the kids glued a yellow triangle to show the contrast between light and darkness.
The kids really enjoyed these activities and I am excited for next Sunday’s lesson.
Note: I recently closed my blog Pocketful of Posies and moved all of the posts here. There were a few technical difficulties and many of the pictures in my Pocketful of Posies posts aren’t working. My Sunday School Crafts posts have been my most popular and I am hoping to have the issue fixed very soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.