Last Sunday my Sunday school class learned about day 5 of creation. We learned that God created all of the creatures of the sea and air that day. (For simplicity’s sake I said fish and birds.) Genesis 1:20-23
I thought it would be fun to make fish and birds out of simple shapes for day 5’s craft.
I pre-cut the pieces because it would have been too time consuming and tricky for the kids to cut the pieces themselves during the short time we have together.
This worked out well and the kids seemed to have fun making the fish and birds.
Here are the details of how to make this craft.
- Light Blue Construction Paper
- Dark Blue Construction Paper
- Orange Construction Paper
- Red Construction Paper
- Yellow Construction Paper
- Glue Stick
- Pen or Marker
- Cut the dark blue paper in half and form waves on one long side.
- Glue the waves to the light blue piece of construction paper at the bottom.
- Cut two circles and two triangles from the orange construction paper.
- Glue the triangles to the circles and glue them onto the waves like in the pictures above.
- Draw an eye and a mouth on the circles.
- Cut an oval, a circle, and 3 triangles from the red construction paper.
- Cut a triangle from the yellow paper.
- Glue all of the pieces together towards the top of the light blue paper like in the picture above to form a bird.
- Draw an eye on the circle.
- Write the following along the bottom of the paper. Day 5: God created the fish and the birds. Genesis 1:20-23
I decided that it would be nice for the kids to have something to take home since I was keeping their main craft to make a book. So, I cut a small light blue square and wrote the number 5 on one side.
Then we made waves out of the dark blue paper, a small fish from the orange paper, and a bird from the red and yellow paper just like in the steps above.
These crafts are simple ways for the kids to remember the story of creation.
Note: I recently closed my blog Pocketful of Posies and moved all of the posts here. There were a few technical difficulties and many of the pictures in my Pocketful of Posies posts aren’t working. My Sunday School Crafts posts have been my most popular and I am hoping to have the issue fixed very soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.