When I was making my four oldest children marker rolls for Christmas I decided to make a miniature version to hold an 8 pack of chunky crayons for Janna.
The concept is exactly the same as the marker rolls but with different dimensions.
Since I didn’t take quite as many pictures of how I made the crayon roll I recommend you take a look at the other tutorial for clarification on anything you may not understand.
- Felt (at least a 9″ x 9″ piece)
- Sewing Machine
- Rotary Cutter & Mat (optional)
- 3/8″ Elastic (5 1/2 inch piece)
1. Cut the felt to a size of 9 inches by 9inches.
2. Cut the elastic to a size of 5 1/2 inches.
3. Fold the bottom of the felt up, towards the top, 2 1/2 inches and pin in place.
4. Fold the top of the felt down, towards the bottom, 1 1/4 inches and pin in place.
5. Fold the piece of elastic in half and place the raw edges inside the bottom folded part of the felt as shown in the picture below. Pin in place.
6. Sew around the entire perimeter of the felt using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Sew over the elastic 2-3 times to secure it.
7. Using a piece of tailor’s chalk make 7 lines that are 1 inch apart. Start measuring from the seam line on the left, not the edge of the felt.
8. Sew along one chalk lines you drew in Step 8. Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and the end.
That’s it. All you have to do now is fill the mini crayon roll with 8 chunky crayons and roll it up.
I think Janna will like feeling like one of the big kids on Christmas morning. 🙂