Doll Bunk Bed Makeover

I am so excited to have a big homemade Christmas project finished. I was late getting started and was getting a little unsure as to whether I would have time to finish it or not.

Janna is going to get a doll bunk bed set complete with bedding to match her room.

Doll Bunk Bed Makeover with Bedding Set

Here’s the great part, the only thing I purchased new was some white spray paint. Everything else was made using scrap fabric and other materials I had on hand.

Even the bunk beds were free thanks to a good friend who gave them to me a few years ago. They were in need of some repair so they sat in our workshop until I thought Janna was old enough to start enjoying them.

My husband fixed all of the broken pieces and cut some thin paneling for the base of each bed. They are really sturdy now.

doll bunk bed before

I didn’t have much fabric left from Janna’s crib skirt and valance that I made before she was born, but it turned out to be just enough.

doll bunk bed makeover

I decided to completely wing it with regards to the bedding.

The first thing I made were two “mattresses”. I had some 1″ foam left from a chair reupholstering job that I cut to the exact size of each bunk bed.

Then, I cut two pieces of fabric about 1 inch larger than the foam on all sides. I stitched them with right sides together but left most of one short side open.

Next, I turned the fabric right side out through the opening and slid the foam inside.

Finally, I folded the open end so the raw edges were inside and stitched the end closed.

doll pillow

The next thing I made were two pillows using fabric I had left from making Janna’s crib sheet. I made it much like I did the mattress, but this time I used stuffing instead of foam.

The picture above is the only picture I took of either process. It should help give you a better idea of what I am talking about. Just remember to put right sides together and to leave an opening for turning. Clipping the corners is a good idea, too.

Now, if you want to know more about how I made those two doll blankets here you go.

doll blanket 1

I made 8 strips of the red and 8 strips of white (leftover backing from the T-shirt quilt) per blanket that were 1 1/2 inches by 27 inches.

doll blanket 2

The next thing I did was sew the red and white strips together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

doll blanket 3

Then, I sewed two pairs together again using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

Next, I stitched each group of four to another group of four in the same manner.

doll blanket 4

At this point I pressed the seams towards the red fabric so they would be less noticeable from the front.

doll blanket 5

Now I had two sets of 8 strips that I cut each into 8 1/2 inch squares.

doll blanket 6

I ended up with six squares that I arranged as shown in the picture above.

doll blanket 7

I then stitched pairs of the squares together and then finally sewed all of the pairs together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

doll blanket 8

I used a piece of the white fabric for the back of the doll blanket and cut it to the same size as the top of the quilt.

Then I pinned the two pieces, right sides together, but left a 4 inch opening at one short end for turning.

Now, I could have made quilt binding and gone the whole “true quilt” route. However, I opted for the “turned and topstitched” method for time’s sake.

doll blanket 9

I stitched all the way around the blanket, being sure to leave the opening, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

I then clipped the corners and turned the blanket right side out through the opening.

doll blanket 10

I then pressed the blanket.

doll blanket 11

The final step was to topstitch around the entire blanket using a 1/8 inch seam allowance. I also “stitched in the ditch” between each of the six blocks to keep the top and bottom together better.

doll bunk bed makeover 2

I really am pleased with how everything turned out and I am even more pleased with how a little effort saved me so much money.

Now, I wonder how long it will be before Janna ends up lying on one of the bunk beds instead of her dolls. :)

  • Merryl Chantrell

    Wow!!! Jackie that is such a super job you have done. Very impressive indeed.

    • http://www.blessingsoverflowing.com/ Jackie

      Thank you so much, Merryl! I had fun making everything. :)

  • Abbi

    Very cute! That is a fun gift.

    • http://www.blessingsoverflowing.com/ Jackie

      Thanks, Abbi! I will have to update this post with a picture of Janna’s new doll. She has loved playing with the doll and the bed. However, she did try to get in the top bunk right after she opened it. The top fell through and it scared her a little. She hasn’t done it since. I had a feeling that would happen. :)

      I do hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas. I haven’t had time to get to your site to comment, but I loved all of your natural decor. Take care.