On Monday I told you about the baked potato bar we set up for my husband’s aunt & uncle’s 50th wedding anniversary party. Today I wanted to share a tutorial for how I made a wreath that we used in our decorating.
I had seen an idea for a similar wreath on the Fiskars website. I changed it up a little and this is the result.
While this wreath took a little bit of time to make it was very inexpensive because it is made out of crepe paper streamers and cereal boxes.
I first made the wreath base by taping two opened cereal boxes together.
Then I made a large circle and another one that was smaller so that I had about 3 inches to glue the streamers onto.
The decor I chose for the party wasn’t the traditional gold that you might normally see at a 50th anniversary party. I decided that bright springy colors would be more fun and better suited to the couple.
By choosing bright pink, yellow, and green instead of gold I can use all of the leftover party decorations for birthday parties, etc.
I unrolled the streamers a little and stacked the three colors on top of each other.
Next, I set my sewing machine to the longest stitch length and stitched right down the center of the stacked streamers.
By setting the stitch length to be longer than for normal sewing my machine ruffled the streamers. There were some parts that weren’t as ruffly so I just pulled on the threads at the end of the streamers to gather them more.
I sewed several yards but then ended up having to sew more after I started gluing them to the wreath. I would suggest sewing more than you think you will need.
Before I hot glued the streamer ruffles to the wreath base I folded the streamers in half along the stitching line.
Then I used my glue gun to attach the ruffles to the wreath base going around until I had the whole base covered.
I did make the rows very close together so that the wreath would look more full.
The final thing I did was to fluff the wreath by pulling the layers apart from each other. This was a tedious task, but I like the way the wreath turned out.
As you can see from this picture, and from the picture at the beginning of this post, I mod podged pictures to cardboard numbers and hung them in the center of the wreath for the party.
I had a lot of fun making the wreath and decorating for the party. I still have more from the party to share with you so I know you can expect at least one more post about it. 🙂
I am linking this post to: