A few weeks ago I bought my daughter a T-shirt on clearance for less than $2. I thought it was cute and it was a size small which is what she wears. However, it was way too big for her.
So, I had the bright idea that I would use clear elastic to gather the sides of the shirt. It was a good idea, but the shirt was still too big in other places for her.
I decided I would try it on, and guess what? It actually fit. A small T-shirt fit me! I guess the T-shirt really was oversized.
Anyway, I thought I would share with you how I easily added side gathers to the T-shirt.
- Clear Elastic
- Sewing Machine
1. The first thing you will need to do is turn the T-shirt inside out.
2. Place the clear elastic right on the side seam of the T-shirt and tack it down (Just a stitch or two) with a zig-zag stitch.
3. Using a 3 step zig-zag stitch, sew the elastic to the seam while pulling the elastic taught, but night too tight, as you sew.
Be sure that your zig-zag stitch isn’t too wide and that it stays on the seam only.
4. Stop just above the hem of the shirt. Trim the elastic and the threads.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 for the other side of the T-shirt.
That’s all there is to it. Don’t you love the added detail that the gathers give the shirt?
I think I am going to like my new shirt. What do you think?
P.S. Don’t forget to enter my Lilla Rose giveaway!