I have often referred to myself as a procrastinating perfectionist. Meaning, if I can’t do something perfectly right now then I will think about it later. With regards to some KCK1 diapers I was going to make last summer this translated into not finishing them until yesterday afternoon.
Here is what happened. I had high hopes of making 18 of these diapers since I had already made three and liked them. So, I ordered all of the supplies. I cut everything out even the hook and loop tape. I stitched all of the tags on, and started on the welt pockets. Things were going pretty well, but it was time consuming. So, I thought that I would get at least 6 finished. My machine was messing up when I was trying to sew the outer loop on the diapers, so I ended up quitting for a while. A few months later I decided to sell 6 sets that I had of everything cut out, and 6 sets on which I already had the welt pockets and labels sewn. I got enough money to cover all of my expenses which was great, but I still needed to sew the last of the hook and loop on the 6 diapers I had left as well as topstitch them.
Fast forward to this week. I decided now was the time to finish the diapers. I got out a size 16 ball point needle and started working. I had a helper (my 4 year old wanted to sit on my lap and “help”) which was fun. Do you know what happened this time? Do you think my machine messed up on the hook and loop? No, things went very smoothly and now I have 6 more diapers. I could have been using them all along, but my procrastinating perfectionism got in my way. I want to be a person of action, and be someone who gets things done. While this is true for the most part there are times where I could just kick myself for things like this. I pray that God will keep molding me to be the person He wants me to be.
Now for the diaper details. The diapers were made using the KCK1 pattern I purchased from Kayla’s Cloth Kits. They are PUL outer with buttersuede inners. The welt pockets were sewn using the buttersuede. A size 16 ball point needle seemed to be the best choice for sewing the diapers. I also didn’t topstitch around the elastic. I just skipped over the areas with elastic. I think it will allow the PUL to roll in so there is no leaking at the legs. The diapers are stuffed with birdseye flat diapers, and are a great choice for outings because they are so easy to take off and put on a fresh diaper.