I recently got some woven PUL from someone on Diaper Sewing Divas. There wasn’t enough to make a diaper the size I wanted, but there was plenty to make some other things. Woven PUL (polyurethane laminated fabric) is not stretchy like knit PUL, but it was cute and I thought I would give it a try.
First, I made a Mile High Monkeys cover. The fleece is from a blanket we weren’t really using. I have used it a few times for my 3 year old at night over some thick underwear. It works well.
Next, I stitched up 2 bibs for the baby. I didn’t really follow any pattern. I just traced a bib that was a size I like. Then I folded over about 1/3, maybe less, of the top. I placed a CD about halfway down from the folded edge. I traced it and cut on the line. This became the neck hole of the bib. I cut a piece of ribbing from an old sweatshirt and stitched it to the bib opening. I did an overcast stitch around the outside. The bibs are good at keeping the baby dry when he is eating.
The photo above shows another project I recently finished. I purchased the Little Comet Tails Stellar Transitions Pattern. I used more of the Dora & Diego PUL to make one pair and some scraps I had left from my KCK One diapers to make the rest. I also used an old T-shirt for the knit fabric requirements. The hidden inner absorbent layers are made from some flannel scraps. This was my first time to use fold over elastic and it gave me some trouble. I think I finally figured out how to use it, and the pattern, by the time I finished the fourth pair (pictured on top of the others).
Lastly, I added some flannel to some microfiber towels I had purchased from the automotive section of a local discount store. I had read that adding flannel to them would boost their absorbency. So, I checked my stash and found some flannel scraps. I used the tutorial I found here to attach the flannel to the towels. I have used these in some pocket diapers and they are working pretty well.