I got the Seraphim Soaker pattern a couple of weeks ago and I really like it. The pattern is great, and since I love wool diaper covers and crocheting it was a perfect match. I did use the smaller hook for the leg holes and I decreased a few stitches on the last round (for the leg openings) because they seemed a little big.
I decided that I would use some natural Paton’s Merino Wool to make the soaker. This was my first time to dye a whole skein of yarn. The yarn was dyed in the “I can’t believe I thought I knew what I was doing. It is too late to stop now. Which tutorial am I following? How can a skein of yarn get this tangled?” colorway. Basically I squirted the colors on the yarn (I used brown and sky blue Wilton’s) and then stuck it in the oven on 250 degrees for about 35 minutes. I had the yarn wrapped in plastic wrap, laid it in a pan, and covered it all with aluminum foil. I really don’t know how I got the yarn so tangled when I dyed it, but it was very frustrating to wind into a ball after it was dry.
I wasn’t sure I would like how I dyed it, but it turned out much better than I anticipated. I had just enough yarn left to make a ball for the baby. I put a jingle bell in the middle of the stuffing. As soon as I gave it to him he grabbed and pulled it to him. He shook it and mouthed it. I think it was a hit. Of course, he is easily amused.