I finally finished the 18 chalk rolls I have been making for Christmas gifts. I used this tutorial from a fellow DSD.
I used 1/4″ bias tape to make the ties (I stitched down the length of a whole package and then cut them into 9″ lengths.) I attached them to the short edge on the middle of the back side so they would be under the binding. I also sewed over them a few times for good measure. I made erasers out of 4″ squares of Sherpa (the Joann’s kind). I folded them in half with wrong sides together and faux serged the 3 cut sides. I tried rounding the corners of a few of the rolls, and left some straight. I also tried zig-zagging 2 of them and didn’t like that so I just used a straight stitch for the rest. The fabrics were all from my stash (except the chalk cloth). I put a piece of white chalk in each pocket and I will give a pack of colored chalk with each roll. One thing I did do was use a leather needle for sewing through the chalk cloth. My machine skipped stitches otherwise.
I hope the kids will have fun with them.